Contemplative Degree Programs
Prospective students often ask us for information on accredited undergraduate and graduate programs of study with a “contemplative” emphasis. This page is our attempt to list them.
* This list may be outdated: CMind closed in September 2022, so this page is no longer being maintained.
Please note that "contemplative" can be a very broad descriptor, and this list is limited to degree-granting programs which are specifically identified by their institutions as “contemplative,” “holistic,” “integrative,” or “mindfulness”-based.
Be aware that in addition to these programs, there are many individual course offerings, across the academic disciplines and at all types of institutions, which integrate contemplative approaches. As these courses may change every semester, it is not possible for us to maintain a list of them. If you are seeking community with instructors using contemplative methods, we suggest you join the Association for Contemplative Mind in Higher Education.
Concentrations, Minors, & Certificates
- Antioch University New England: Certificate, Mindfulness for Educators
- Brown University: Concentration in Contemplative Studies
- California State University-San Bernardino: Certificate in Holistic and Integrative Education
- Lesley University: Graduate Certificate: Mindfulness Studies Specialization
- NHTI, Concord’s Community College: Mindful Communication Certificate
- Syracuse University: Mindfulness and Contemplative Studies Minor
- University of Mary Washington: Minor in Contemplative Studies
- University of North Carolina Asheville: Interdisciplinary Certificate in Contemplative Inquiry
- BA in Psychology, Naropa University
- BA in Elementary Education, Naropa University
- BFA in Jazz and Contemplative Studies at the University of Michigan
- MA in Integrative Health Studies, California Institute of Integral Studies
- MEd in Mindfulness for Educators, Antioch University New England
- MEd in Curriculum & Instruction: Contemplative Inquiry and Approaches in Education, Simon Fraser University
- MA in Holistic and Integrative Education, California State University-San Bernardino
- MA in Religious Studies with a Contemplative Studies concentration: Rice University
- MA in Contemplative Psychotherapy and Buddhist Psychology, Naropa University
- MA in Mindfulness Studies: Lesley University
- MA in Yoga Studies: Loyola Marymount University
There’s a Mindfulness and Contemplative Studies minor at Syracuse University. http://coursecatalog.syr.edu/preview_program.php?catoid=26&poid=13420&returnto=3363
Oh, yes, fantastic! Thanks so much, Diane. I’ve added it to the page.
There is a Consciousness and Human Potential bachelor and masters at Maharishi International University.
Also another well known program is the School of Transformation and Consciousness at the California Institute of Integral Studies. They have Phd in Transformative – Consciousness Studies: https://www.ciis.edu/research-centers/center-for-consciousness-studies
One more! There is the MA in Yoga Studies at Loyola Marymount University. https://bellarmine.lmu.edu/yoga/
Thank you for these, Joe!
There is also Naropa’s MA in Yoga Studies: https://www.naropa.edu/programs/graduate-academics/yoga-studies-low-residency/
Can someone add this one and also the MA in Consciousness and Human Potential at MIU. Thank you!
Also both Naropa and MIU programs listed above both have BA versions as well. Great list you are creating.