We are often asked to provide information on accredited institutions which offer undergraduate and graduate degree programs specifically in Contemplative Studies. This page is our attempt to list them.
Please note that this list only includes degree-granting programs which specifically identify “contemplative,” “holistic,” “integrative,” or “mindfulness”-based approaches as the subject of study.
Be aware that in addition to these programs, there are many individual course offerings within graduate and undergraduate degree programs across the academic disciplines, and at all types of institutions, which integrate contemplative approaches. It is not possible for us to maintain a list of these courses, but many are taught by the members of the Association for Contemplative Mind in Higher Education.
If you have suggestions for improving this list, please do contact us with your edits and additions.
Programs of Study
- BA in Contemplative Psychology, Naropa University
- BFA in Jazz and Contemplative Studies at the University of Michigan
- Concentration in Contemplative Studies, Brown University
- Graduate Certificate in Contemplative Clinical Practice, Smith College School for Social Work
- Individualized MA & Concentration in Contemplative Studies, Burlington College
- M.Ed. & Certificate, Mindfulness for Educators, Antioch University New England
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Contemplative Inquiry and Approaches in Education, Simon Fraser University
- M.Ed. in Interdisciplinary Studies: Mindfulness Studies Specialization, Lesley University
- MA and Certificate in Holistic and Integrative Education, California State University-San Bernardino
- MA in Contemplative Education, Naropa University
- MA in Contemplative Psychotherapy, Naropa University
- MA in Interdisciplinary Studies: Mindfulness Studies Specialization, Lesley University
- PhD in Religious Studies with a Contemplative Studies concentration, Rice University