The Center for Contemplative Mind in Society is seeking a Financial Officer. Under the general supervision of the Executive Director, this position holds responsibility for maintaining the Center’s financial and operational systems and assisting with our fundraising efforts. Success in this position will require extensive financial training and experience, a strong strategic orientation, and a collaborative working style. This salaried full-time position is located at our office in Northampton, Massachusetts. Compensation is commensurate with experience. The Center offers a benefits package that includes health & dental insurance, a 403b plan, life insurance and generous paid time off.
The Center for Contemplative Mind in Society is a 501c3 nonprofit organization working with higher education faculty, staff, administrators and students across the US and around the world. Our programs help education professionals integrate contemplative practices into courses, services, and campus environments to support teaching, learning, and engaged action for a more just and compassionate society.
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher.
- Minimum of five years of non-profit financial and administrative experience.
- Demonstrated commitment to contemplative practice and an interest in improving higher education.
- Proven non-profit financial management and planning skills.
- Professional experience with GAAP.
- Intuit QuickBooks expertise.
- Strong general computer skills, including proficiency with MS Office.
- Ability to use CRM software (NeonCRM).
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Superior oral and written presentation skills, especially the ability to clearly present complex material verbally and in writing to a variety of audiences.
- Demonstrated ability to supervise and work effectively with people of diverse backgrounds.
- Strong initiative and ability to work both independently and collaboratively.
- Strong organizational abilities and attention to detail.
- Ability to work simultaneously on long-term and short-term activities, on both an abstract and concrete level.
- Experience in diversity issues, sensitivity to age, race, class, gender, and ability issues.
- In keeping with the Center’s organizational culture: a flexible and independent attitude, a warm heart, and a big sense of humor.
- Ensure that effective internal controls, policies and procedures are in place and ensure compliance with applicable federal, state, and local regulatory laws and rules for financial and tax reporting.
- Creation and monitoring of budgets and supporting materials.
- Direct financial audits and coordinate the provision of information to external auditors for the annual audit and tax reports.
- Preparation of quarterly and annual financial reports.
- Generate financial materials for grant proposals and reporting.
- Execute billing & payment processing.
- Payroll preparation for outside payroll service.
- Preparation of accounts payable and receivable.
- Monitor and approve expenditures.
- Monitor receipt of funds.
- Petty cash management.
- Manage grant application and reporting processes.
- Provide financial materials for funding requests.
- Work with program staff to draft letters of inquiry, requests for proposals and appeals to individual donors.
- Manage annual fundraising campaign with board and staff.
Board of Directors Support:
- Plan and organize biannual Board Meetings: secure meeting venues, coordinate travel and logistics, and manage meeting agenda.
- Advise Executive Director of financial issues for Board consideration.
- Present financial reports to Board and Executive Committee.
Operations & Personnel Management:
- Maintain our functional workplace environment, e.g., rent, utilities, maintenance, parking, supplies and equipment.
- Oversee administration of employee benefits.
- Maintain employee handbook.
Compensation and Benefits
Compensation is commensurate with experience. The Center offers a benefits package that includes health & dental insurance, a 403b plan, life insurance and generous paid time off.
Please e-mail your resume and cover letter to Jobs@contemplativemind.org.
The Center for Contemplative Mind in Society strongly supports workplace diversity. Candidates of all races, genders, ages, and sexual orientations are encouraged to apply.